Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

I'm Going To Camp! As A Camper This Time! And Other News.

The thermometer in Washington right now! 
Hi everyone! This post is mostly just a check-in with some random information.
So I arrived back in Washington on Sunday evening. I had an awesome time in Chicago with my parents and got to see my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and little cousins! I spent Saturday evening and most of Sunday bawling and having a lot of anxiety about leaving. If you were to scroll through my blog posts since the beginning of this blog, you would find a ton of posts covering that exact same experience. For instance, June 2015November 2015April 2016, and December 2016. I'm a wreck when it's time to leave Chicago. I am usually bawling and making a scene in the airport. Then after I've been back here for a few hours or at least a day, I get back to normal. I don't know why. It is kind of like when I was a little kid and I would have dreams where I would know I was dreaming, I would feel sad about having to wake up because I felt like I was leaving my "dream family." There were my parents and brother in my dreams, and then my parents and brother in real life, but I felt like when I woke up my family in my dream would still be existing and would be upset that I was gone. (I was an odd child.)  I feel like Chicago sort of exists in another dimension, and when it is time for me to leave and come back here, it feels like a much huger separation than it actually is. I mean, I see my parents multiple times per year, much more frequently than most people do who live far away from their families! But I just can't seem to make that transition work for me.

Anyways. I'm back now and back to normal. Once I've looked around a little at the trees and the river and everything, I feel better about being here, although I do call my mom at least once a day. I had taken 3 weeks off from my summer camp job, and then went back to work on Monday and Tuesday, and then it turned out that camp is closed for Wednesday and Thursday due to excessive heat. Usually the Pacific Northwest is a little dramatic about any weather other than rain. For instance in the winter, if they see one snowflake, they cancel school. But this time, I have to admit, the heat is excessive! It was supposed to get up to 108 degrees today! Now they're saying 105, which I think may be because the sun is partially blocked out by smoke from some fires in Canada and northern Washington. (That also explains why my allergies are going crazy and my throat feels scratchy!) Not having air conditioning in my apartment, I was worried about how Yoshi and Lily and I would survive. The town has opened up emergency cooling centers, and I could bring Lily to one if I went, because she is a service dog, but Yoshi is not a service cat. Plus cooling centers are probably boring. Luckily, we are at Auntie Em and Uncle J's house hogging their air conditioning!

Oh yeah, and the title of this post... I should probably get around to mentioning that. I enjoyed the Autism Conference so much, I decided I wanted to go to Kindtree Friends And Family Camp, which is a one weekend long summer camp for autistic people of all ages and their friends and family. ( I don't know if any of my friends and family are going to come with, but if anyone wants to, you totally can... for $75! Plus you have to pay $25 for a bunk in a cabin, or you can get a tent there or bring a tent. I picked the cabin because I can't find my tent and when you get a tent from a camp it is usually full of spiders and junk, so, yeah.) I thought it would be fun to actually get to do camp activities, instead of having to look after little kids who are doing the activities. It is going to involve campfires, swimming, canoeing, Qi Gong, martial arts, nature walks, arts and crafts, and other cool stuff. I can't wait!

Okay. That is really all I had to say. I have about 42.5 more hours before I have to be back at work, so I'll just be relaxing and enjoying it. Stay cool, everyone!

No comments :

Post a Comment

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!