Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, July 30, 2016

My Farm Friends

Just dropping in to say hi! I am trying to get back into writing at least once a week, but my summer job absorbs most of my time and energy . Saturdays are a good day to write. Today I got to go visit my friends at an animal refuge near where I live. It is called Odd Man Inn, and it is different from most animal refuges because its pretty much free range. During the day nobody is in pens or cages unless they want to be. They can just roam around the property. They have to learn to get along together or else stay away from the animals they don't like much. Mostly they seem to live in harmony, like a peaceable kingdom. But once in a while there is a skirmish, usually involving Gomez the Goose. Gomez thinks it is funny to chase the dog or tease the turkey. Then he flaps his wings and sticks his neck out and honks with joy!

I try to go there every so often... I can't remember how long ago it was last time I was there, but it was probably around May some time. It is therapeutic for me, because I am always in a calmer and happier mood for the next few days after I go!

 I do stuff to help out when I am there. I really love all of the animals. It is sort of how I think Heaven will be when I die, except my family will be there and all of my dogs and cats and fish and everyone. Today I helped by raking out the chicken coop, staining a fence, helping transfer a new pig into her new home (sort of... I tried to help but the pig was too fast and I ended up tripping over my own feet) and helping feed the animals. Feeding the animals is the best part because they get really happy! When they know it is their snack time, you will suddenly turn around and find that all of the animals are following you!

I took some pictures of Gomez and the chickens. My phone ran out of storage so I couldn't take pictures of any more of the animals. But besides the fowl, I also got to spend time with the dogs (including a giant dog who likes to sit on my lap) and the goats and the pigs and a lamb and the llamas.

Wow, I took a lot of pictures of Gomez. I think there are eight. Gomez follows me around everywhere when I am there! He just walks along honking! His other goose friend, Lucy, follows also, but she doesn't like me so she hisses at me. I think it is because she thinks I am hogging Gomez! He also likes to get held and carried! When you pick him up and hug him, he actually stops honking for a while. Today while I was trying to paint the fence, Gomez was standing behind me honking, and he would just honk louder and more frantically, and when I turned around I found that his goose face was about one inch away from me! He was saying, "HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME! STOP STARING AT THIS FENCE! THERE IS A GOOSE WHO NEEDS SOME LOVE!" So I would pause what I was doing and pet him a little bit, and then as soon as I'd start painting again, I'd hear, "HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK ..." He actually ended up at Odd Man Inn because he used to live in a house in the suburbs and he honked so much that his neighbor threatened to shoot him. So his owner was scared for Gomez's safety and wanted him to go live somewhere where he could honk all he wanted without getting death threats. I don't mind him honking. I think it is funny and cute! Also, if you are thinking of getting a goose for a pet, don't use Gomez as an example of how geese act. He's actually a very strange goose. Most geese are not as people-friendly as him!







Next time maybe I'll take a video of him so you can hear him in action!

I think you should also know that I had to break up a fight between Gomez and a turkey named Clarence. It was a fight that Gomez started. But the turkey probably would have won. Later that same turkey kept trying to bite my leg! I had to banish him to turkey jail so I could finish painting the fence without getting pecked the entire time. I learned that when turkeys are happy their faces are red, but when turkeys are mad their faces are blue. I have no idea how this is even possible. But when he was glaring at me from turkey jail he was blue. See, not ALL animals love me! Maybe I can win him over next time. 

The only other pictures I took were of the chickens! Even though I raked their coop for them, the chickens were mostly not that interested in me... until I was eating grapes. Then they all wanted to be my BFF. They would actually take a grape right out of my hand! They also liked stealing grapes from each other. Some of them didn't even eat the grapes. They just wanted to own grapes and make all of their friends jealous. But then their friends stole the grapes from them because I guess that is what jealous friends do. 



That is all of the pictures I took before my phone's storage ran out. Stupid Pokemon Go is hogging all my storage! 

Alright, now I need to go start getting some things ready for work on Monday. But I just wanted to share these pictures of my feathered friends. 


3 comments :

  1. How kind of you to spend time with the animals. It sounds like a great home for them and they don't have to be concerned about mistreated. If you get this comment, would you kindly respond to it, so I know you were able to receive it. I don't think you got my comment about the dog that you wrote about. Thank you!Have a great work week..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw them now! I usually get comment notifications in my email, but yours don't seem to come through, so I didn't see them until I actually went to my blog comments page. Thanks! :) <3

      Delete
  2. Hi, thank you for sharing. Wendy and Joshua are wonderful people. I love what they are doing at Odd Man Inn. I have the honor to be Bailey's, the border collie, walking buddy and friend. I've earned his trust. He now waits for me at the gate on the days we walk.😊 We also adopted Marigold, a Taby cat. She has purred her way into our lives... It's an amazing thing what the love of animals can do for us. Oh, Gomez the goose! What a treat to get a hug from him! 😊

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!