Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Monday, November 9, 2015

What's Your Type?

I've always been curious about personality types tests. It is interesting to think that all people can be grouped into certain categories. Even more confusing to me is that there are several different theories of personalities. Plus, many use similar acronyms for the different personalities, but the similar acronyms don't mean the same thing from theory to theory. For some reason I have always been intrigued by things that are similar, but different. For instance, how exactly is a McDonald's cheeseburger different from a Burger King cheeseburger? If you took the McDonald's and Burger King's menus and put them side by side, what would be alike or different about them? Why are these two restaurants often seen next to each other? Are they friends or enemies? What is going on here?

The blogger at FlutistPride's Blog often writes about personality types, especially how they pertain to autism and other disabilities. My interest has been piqued from reading some blog entries over there. So, I thought I'd try to take a few of these tests and find out what my personality is, according to some of the different personality theories!

The first one I took was the Kiersey Temperament Test. I think this is very close to the Myers-Briggs test. This test divides people into four main groups, with each group containing four more sub-groups. Frustratingly, the test only tells you your main group, and then demands that you pay $14 if you want to find out your sub-group. I am not in the position right now to be tossing $14 around all willy-nilly. I decided to try to find an alternate way of finding my sub-group. In the meantime, I did find out that I am an Idealist! Apparently, Idealists are enthusiastic, intuitive, seek their authentic selves, prize meaningful relationships, and want to obtain wisdom. They are loving, kind-hearted, giving, trusting, and spiritual. They make intense mates, nurturing parents, and inspirational leaders. Does that sound like me?

The Idealist's sub-groups are Champion, Counselor, Healer, and Teacher. I am not going to describe them each here, because the descriptions are long and detailed, so I'll just link to them. ENFJ=Teacher. INFJ=Counselor. ENFP=Champion. INFP=Healer. There doesn't seem to be any free tests online for sorting out these groups, but after reading the descriptions, I think I'd most likely be a Healer or a Counselor. (You thought I'd be a Teacher, didn't you, since that is technically my career choice? The Teacher personality is similar to the Healer or Counselor, but more organized, and better at spoken language, so that's why I wasn't sure about that one.

Flutist'sPride often writes about the Four Temperaments (which actually now there are five of, but the fifth one is sort of hard to find information about.) The temperaments are Choleric, Melancholic, Phlegmatic, and Sanguine. This theory dates back to the Ancient Greek medical theory. I took a quiz here, and got the result of Melancholic. According to the website, "The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and thoughtful. Melancholic people often were perceived as very (or overly) pondering and considerate, getting rather worried when they could not be on time for events. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry and art - and can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world. Often they are perfectionists. They are self-reliant and independent; one negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of others."  

But when I took another Four Temperaments test here, I got Phlegmatic-Melancholic. Apparently you can have a combination of two. But the results only included the description of Phlegmatic, which apparently means, in addition to everything in the Melancholic description above, I am a "meek, submissive introvert who lives to please others," submissive, indecisive, and calm. They are empathetic, and try hard not to hurt anyone's feelings. They are terrified of doing something wrong and upsetting someone. They can be described as doormats. Hmm... not sure about that one!

Next, I went to 16 Personalities, and took a test that is apparently based on several different theories. My results for that were Mediator- INFP, Turbulent, Diplomat, and Constant Improvement.
I think this one was one that sounded the most like me, to myself. According to the page, an INFP person is always looking for a hint of good in even the worst situations, trying to make things better. They are thought of as calm or shy, but have an inner fire and passion. They often feel misunderstood, but when they are around people they "click" with, their true personalities shine. They are guided by their principles and the "purity of their intent." They can communicate easily through metaphors, symbols, fiction, etc. They spend time with just a few people, and if they spread themselves too thin, they get overwhelmed and go into "hermit mode."

In the end... all of these theories do describe me a little bit. And my results from each of the different tests were similar in some ways. The overall theme seems to be that I am at least somewhat introverted, empathetic, loving, and interested in changing the world. That makes me feel HAPPY!

Now that we know all about me, what about you? Have you ever taken a personality test? What were the results?

7 comments :

  1. I am obsessed with personality tests. I tie for INFP/INFJ every time I have taken the Keirsey for the last decade ( I have the book Please Understand Me 2 which is EXCELLENT and has a free test and the categories) Also, I am an InFP/INFJ tie for 16 personalities and I agree that I loved that test the best.T o find out your Numerology Lifepath number, use the calculator on this site:
    http://seventhlifepath.com/

    I preferred the explanations here:

    http://www.astrology-numerology.com/num-lifepath.html#lp5

    Have you taken the anneagram? Here are 2 tests and they should match in results: http://www.enneagramquiz.com/quiz.html
    to confirm you should get the same result on this test and it will tell you your level of health which you can also look up on the link I just sent you: http://similarminds.com/test.html and then look up your result here for an in-depth read:https://www.enneagraminstitute.com I am a 4 with a 5 wing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken a few personality tests before. They always seem to be mostly accurate. I am quiet but loyal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your page because you commented on my Number Tree on my website www.JustCallMeMom.com I'm SO glad I checked it out. What a great post! I love personality tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personality tests are interesting and I'm a little on the fence. Like you, I'm wondering how you can fit people into a box. And, once you find your box do you start acting that way just because it's labeled you? I'm pretty interested in the labeling theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personality tests are interesting and I'm a little on the fence. Like you, I'm wondering how you can fit people into a box. And, once you find your box do you start acting that way just because it's labeled you? I'm pretty interested in the labeling theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this post on labels:
    http://flutistpridesblog.blogspot.ca/2015/10/labels-define-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking the tests. I took the Fighunter test again and it came out as choleric-melancholic instead of melancholic-choleric. I also took the LaHaye test and got ChlorMel rather than my expected result, MelChlor.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!