Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Thankfulness List

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Thanksgiving, incidentally, is not one of my favorite holidays. First of all, I don't really like how people celebrate the idea of killing and eating reluctant turkeys, with cartoons of talking turkeys begging for their lives. I understand that many people like to eat meat, and that they especially like turkey on Thanksgiving, but why do people take such delight in the fact that they kill turkeys for their meal?

I was also going to share some really dark facts I learned about Thanksgiving... for instance, there were probably many "Thanksgivings" before the historical story of the Native Americans and pilgrims eating together happened. It was pretty common for groups of people to have a feast to celebrate something good that had happened, such as the fact that there was never a friendly party where pilgrims and Indians cheerfully shared food. Yes, there was a large feast, in 1621, that included pilgrims and Native Americans... but it wasn't quite a feast of friendship. They met together to discuss a land treaty. They did not refer to it as Thanksgiving, or give any sort of thanks, and they did not repeat it annually from then on. The holiday called Thanksgiving did not begin until 1637.
The first real Thanksgiving celebration, in 1637, was not really a celebration of friendship between Native Americans and Europeans. It was a celebration of a massacre by English and Dutch mercenaries, who captured and executed 700 men, women and children of wards, the governor declared it a holiday to give thanks that they had successfully eliminated 700 Pequot. 

But I decided not to bum you out with those facts today, and instead to go the more traditional route with a list of things I am thankful for. It has been a hard year, and right now I'm having a particularly hard time, so I thought it would be good for me to try to focus on some things I can be happy about. Here it is. 

ANGEL'S THANKFUL LIST

- I am thankful that I have Auntie Em and Uncle J in my life and that they do so much to help me and try to understand me. 

- I am thankful that I've gotten to see my mom and dad three different times so far since moving to the Pacific Northwest... in June when we met in California where my brother lives, then in late August when I spent two weeks with them, and now I am here with them for Thanksgiving! It helps me to not be homesick when I know I can come back frequently. 

- I am thankful that my mom's cancer treatment is going so well, and that the doctors say she might actually be cured by next year... not just in remission, but with the cancer totally gone!     

- I am thankful for new friends I met in the Pacific Northwest, like Phyllis and Lisa. And Ken, for a little while, at least, before he died.  And Linda, who is an email penpal who was also a friend of Ken. 
  
- I am sthankful for my special little service dog Lily, and also for Trixie (who is my parents' dog but I still call her mine) and Roo and my fishies and the kitty cats. 

- I am thankful for all the free things I've gotten to review on this blog, because it makes every trip to the mailbox feel like Christmas!

- I am thankful that I started DBT, and I am thankful that my therapists have worked with me to lower my fees as much as possible because they know I can't afford much and that I really want to participate in it. 

- I am thankful that my little 1997 car continues to run well and be a dependable car. I will never sell it, because my Nona gave it to me. Even if it breaks completely and can't be fixed, I think I will just keep it. I'm sure I can think of something to do with it! 

- I am thankful for the friends I've made through blogging, who I can bare my soul to and who understand me or at least empathize with me!

- I am thankful for Dr. Pepper and Pirate's Booty. 

Well, that is an even ten, so I won't keep going... I want to leave you to your own Thanksgiving festivities! At my house we are just having a small dinner with my parents and I. My mom's family is in a feud, so we're apparently boycotting the large family dinner. That is okay with me, because I am going to see everyone separately throughout the time that I'm here, and small, intimate parties are actually better for me. I actually talk and stuff. The more people there are... especially in my loud Italian family... the quieter I am! 

So, anyways, Happy Thanksgiving! And don't go shopping until Friday.   






2 comments :

  1. I agree with you 100% on the turkey "jokes." They make me cringe at what a compassion-less society we are. And the "true" story of Thanksgiving is just as bad.
    I do serve turkey at my dinner, but I buy from Trader Joe's. They sell only turkey humanely raised, free range, animals raised in sunlit open pens. They are "harvested" humanely. I hope all of that is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the idea of torturing your food before killing it. If you're going to kill something for food, the process must be as quick and clean as possible. I like large groups and mingling, especially if I get to perform or organize a game.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!