Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Review: DogPlus Hip And Joint Supplement Powder

Hi everyone! I like to review products on this blog, and sometimes companies send me a free product in exchange for an honest review. My small dog, Lily, really loves it when I get a product that she has to help me test! Today she got to test DogPlus Hip And Joint Supplement Powder.

Lily is only six years old, but she is a little overweight. It is something we are working on... she goes hiking for at least a mile almost every day, and we've been cutting down on her treats and serving her healthy snacks like carrots instead. Lately I've been a little worried about her, because I noticed her limping. I realized that she could be having problems with her hips and joints.

My aunt and uncle's dog, Roo, takes glucosamine pills regularly, not because she's had any hip and joint problems before, but more as a preventive supplement. I've tried a million times to get Lily to take a glucosamine pill. She literally turns her nose up at it. Literally. My small dog has somewhat of an attitude. I've even tried crushing one up into her food, but she just sniffs it and looks up at me with an accusing expression on her face.

I was hopeful that this stuff would be different, because it is a powder. I thought it might be easier to hide in her dog food.  I felt like one of the kids in the old commercial, trying to see if Mikey would like the new "good-for-you cereal." When she started gobbling it down, I was all, "She likes it! Hey, Lily!" I even made a video to prove it to you.


When I read the list of ingredients, I felt pretty good about giving this to Lily. I knew what glucosamine does, but I had to Google some of the additional ingredients to find out what they are. Here's what I learned.

MSM (500 mg) - A natural sulfur that has been reported to help with chronic pain, detoxification, neurological diseases, allergies, autoimmune diseases, cancer, parasites, and diabetes. It is also a synergist (helps the body absorb nutrients) and an antioxidant. 

Black Cherry (300 mg) - Believed to work as an antioxidant.

Chondroitin Sulfate (125 mg) - Combats and neutralizes destructive enzymes in joints. 

Hyaluronic Acid (6 mg) - May be helpful for arthritis in dogs.

Vitamin C (55 mg) - Recommended by holistic veterinarians to help with respiratory infections, cancer, bacterial infections, maintaining collagen health, slowing or reversing degenerative bone, joint and spine conditions, and boosting the immune system.

Flaxseed (6000 mcg) - Provides Omega-3 fatty acids for maintaining the immune system.

Vitamin E (6 IU) - Maintains healthy skeletal muscle, heart, liver and nerves.


At any rate, in my opinion, this is going to be a healthy supplement to keep on giving Lily. I guess I will have to report back in a month or two to let you know how it is working!

You can buy it for yourself if you want to try it out. I found it on Amazon here.

What supplements have you given your dogs?



SOURCES
 "Glucosamine & Chondroitin for Hip Dysplasia & Arthritis in Dogs." Pet Education. Petco Wellness, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. <http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=670>.

Griswold, Bob, and Nancy Kerns. "Benefits of Vitamin C to Your Dog." The Whole Dog Journal. N.p., Sept. 1998. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. <http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/1_7/features/5309-1.html>.

"MSM: Does Your Dog Need It?" Dogs Naturally Magazine. Dogs Naturally, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. <http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/msm-raw-fed-dogs/>. 

PetEducation. (n.d.). "Fat Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E & K in Dogs." Retrieved October 30, 2015. <http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2 1659&aid=71/>.

Stokes, B. (n.d.). "The Benefits of Flaxseed Oil for Dogs." Retrieved October 30, 2015. <http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/the-benefits-of-flaxseed-oil-for-dogs_814.htm/>.

"Supplements & Diet Guidelines for Dogs with Arthritis." (n.d.). Retrieved October 30, 2015. <http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html/>.

 "Vitamins and Supplements Lifestyle Guide." WebMD. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2015. <http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-black-cherry>.

No comments :

Post a Comment

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!