Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Monday, October 19, 2015

Disappointed

Ugh, I'm upset right now. 
Remember how I told you that I had an intake interview at an organization that helps people with disabilities to learn about independent living, social opportunities, etc? Today was the intake, and...
Booooo.
When I had emailed them for information, I specifically mentioned that I lived in Washington, and asked if that would be a problem. The person replied back that, no, it should not be a problem... I might not be eligible for some local programs in Oregon, but their organization would be able to work with me. 
So I specifically blocked today off to not take any subbing jobs, because of this intake. I drove to Portland and even got there twenty minutes early, because I am an eager beaver. Sat there in the waiting room for twenty minutes, all anxious and stimmy and sort of excited about what I'd find out. And then,,,
"Oh, you live in Washington? We only work with people from Oregon."
Whaaaaat?
I frantically told the case worker or whoever  you call the lady intaking me, that I'd asked and been told through email that it was okay that I live in Washington. I even pulled up the email on my phone to show the lady, with the name of the person who replied and everything. She went and talked to the person who had replied, and I heard him sort of hemming and hawing, like, "Well, I might have said that, yes." 
So then the lady came back and said she would do the intake with me anyways, and then she'd try to find out if they could work with me on an "information and referral" basis, meaning that I won't be able to actually use any of the programs they have but maybe they can tell me about things in Washington. 
The problem with Washington is, I live in more of a rural county, and the next closest city, Seattle, is probably about three hours away. When we go to "the city", we go to Portland, which is about twenty minutes away. The programs I've been able to find in my county seem to be more for either people who are very dependent on others for their physical care and need to be supervised all day, or job placement programs for people who can learn to do something such as push the shopping carts from the parking lot to the inside of the store. Important programs, of course, but not anything I would qualify for! 
So I'm kind of sad, because I had high hopes for today. 
Oh well... back to the old drawing board!

1 comment :

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!