Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Doing Art To Keep From Flatlining

Hello again bloggy friends! I have bad news and good news. I always like to start with the bad news first, so stay tuned for the good news.

The bad news is not terribly bad, so much as it is just nothing. Ever since returning from Portland, things haven't been going great for me. Not horrible... just not anything. I haven't been getting a lot of subbing jobs. In fact I have only subbed once, for half a day, since I got back. I am so broke that I can't even afford to go to equine therapy any more for a while. I've been having trouble just getting out of bed in the morning, because there just isn't much of a reason to get up. Not even to take my Small Dog out... she is perfectly happy to lie in bed and snore next to me for as long as possible. I've been focused on trying to look for a job out in Oregon again, but the pickings are slim. So mostly I have just been existing with a sort of dead feeling. Mostly if I don't have to sub, I sleep in until late, get up and go downstairs and take the dogs out, then watch TV, take surveys online to try to get soem money, and look for jobs... and then when my mom comes home she usually yells at me for something, and then I feel even worse... and then I continue watching TV, doing surveys for money, and looking for jobs, until it is time for bed. Then I'm not really tired because I slept so long, so I just lie in bed with my eyes closed until about 4 am, at which point I finally fall asleep, and it starts all over again!

The good news is that one thing that has bringing me a little bit of joy is doing some arts and crafts. Before I went to Oregon to visit, I made a picture frame for my aunt for her birthday. I didn't have a lot of money for craft supplies or anything else, so I made it completely out of recycled materials... cardboard, and strips of magazine pages. It came out pretty cool. So I started thinking of more things I could make with magazines and newspapers. I even started an Etsy store, on the off chance that maybe my new hobby can help me get ahead with my finances!

Here are the first two things I have made.




And check out my Etsy shop, too... by the time you read this, I may have some more things listed! You know, "outsider art" is a thing... and since an alien is certainly an outsider, maybe my art will be worth something! In fact, art like this could go for as much as $50,000,000,000,000,000 per piece... but you can buy it for the low, low price of $10, with free shipping!

I love making these pictures. It will be even easier if I get an exacto knife, since I've been using clumsy office scissors to do all of the cutting. Do you have any ideas for other pictures I can make like this? The cat was the first idea that popped into my head, and then the hummingbird because Auntie Em loves hummingbirds and she gave me a picture of a hummingbird which is in my room now. I was thinking of trying a horse next. And maybe, for Christmas, a Christmas tree!

Okay. That is my update for today. I am glad I blogged, even though my listless brain couldn't even get motivated to blog for the past week.

And now I'm going to go... do more art I guess!

5 comments :

  1. Well, Angel, I'm sorry to hear that you're not in your best spirits, but glad you're looking at options to occupy your time until some more work comes your way. It's frustrating looking for work, but you are sticking with it. I wish you the best. I know things will turn around for you - soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the Etsy shop. You might want to call the schools and remind them that you're available to sub. Perhaps you can bring some of your Etsy art into the teachers' lounge to sell or you could go up there to volunteer to shelve books for the librarian. The people who get the sub jobs are those who are visible, so you need to stop by the school. Talk to the principal and good luck.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2014/10/ww-young-and-old.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to feeling just overall bleh and wanting to sleep late and not being able to sleep at night. I love your idea for the etsy shop though and will already commit $10 to you doing an original ORANGE (because favorite color) picture for Tucker. My first thought was a spider for halloween but anything orange would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pieces or artwork are really cool! I hope your etsy shop does well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hummingbird is beautiful! I love it! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!