Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Update On My Impending Move!

I haven't written in a few days, and it is pretty much like a million years went by, with everything that has happened.

The last time we met, I was feeling a lot of anxiety because many things were up in the air. I was waiting to hear back about two different job possibilities, one in W-Town and one in E-Town. Although we collectively decided that it might be better to move to W-Town because I'd be closer to my aunt, fate did not agree with us. The job they offered me turned out to be something entirely different than I had wanted or interviewed for. They actually sort of tried to pull a fast one on me, because I had told them I was open to possibly doing the second job but that I preferred the first job. And they just decided to place me in the second job. So, yeah.

Meanwhile, the job in E-Town was emailing me, literally telling me that they wanted me to come! So I finally told them, yes, I would come.

So.

I haven't really managed to save up as much money as I had hoped, and I won't have enough money to get an apartment right away. Just getting out there is going to take up a lot of my savings. But I actually have a plan. I found this website where people will let you stay with them for a little while, in their spare bedroom or on their couch.

Before you say, "HOLD IT!", let me explain!

It is a pretty safe site. You can search among a lot of different people who are offering up their places. Some of them are "verified" through the site, and some of them have references. You can also use their full name and address to do a little background research on them. To me it is actually a little safer than renting a room, because you can preview the person ahead of time, and if you don't end up getting along, you can just leave.

I signed up, and I already got a place to stay for the first night of my road trip. The girl I will be staying with sounds very nice. She works with people with developmental disabilities, and has an Australian Shepherd!

So. Here is how it is going to roll. I have this week to try to tie up as many loose ends as possible. Then, on Friday, I will set out on the first leg of my journey. I am going to drive only 8 hours a day, in order to not burn out, since I don't have anyone to share the drive with me! Of course, my tiny sidekick, Lily, will be with me, too.

I will get out there by Sunday night or Monday some time. By then, I will hopefully have arranged a place to stay in E-Town. (I will probably either rent a room, or find another place to stay through that website.) On Tuesday, I will start orientation at my new job!

I don't know what I am going to do with Lily during the day time, yet. I am going to get a little crate and start training her to go into it for short amounts of time. The reason is, Lily has never really been home alone for any amount of time. And by alone, I mean, completely alone, with no other pets or anything. If I just leave her in a random new place all of the sudden, she may freak out! So I am going to try to make her crate her familiar place and have it out for her wherever we stay, so that she still has that safe little cave no matter what. And if I am allowed to at whatever place I end up staying temporarily, I will just crate her while I am at work. Not because she would cause any destruction, but just so she would feel safe and cozy in her little house. If I can't leave her home alone, I will have to put her in doggie daycare. I have already found one I like, and it costs $20 a day, which isn't too bad.

When I get my first paycheck, I will be able to strike out on my own and get my own place to stay!

As for anxiety, I think I have been using the wrong word. I really am excited for everything ahead, from the solo road trip, to meeting new people, to being closer to my aunt and uncle and cousin and also to my brother and sister-in-law and nephew, to my awesome new job. I am not fearful or apprehensive about any of this. But I am SAD about one thing... saying goodbye to my family here in Chicago. Including my other dog, Trixie, who is really my parents' dog. I am going to miss them all so much! The only thing that makes me feel better is telling myself that I will fly home every chance I get. I can't even think about it, or I start feeling panicky.

So anyways... this blog is about to take an exciting turn! You may want to keep on tuning in!

And now, because this is my favorite video in the whole world and I want one of these, go watch this!




3 comments :

  1. Congratulations on the job!! How exciting to be starting something new in a new place! Exploring a new town can be such fun. I'm praying everything goes smoothly and the person you end up staying the night with isn't a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy for you Angel! This is a such an exciting opportunity for you and I wish you the best of luck. Good luck with crate training Lily...my husband and I did this with our dogs from the time we brought them home and it works well. My advice, find a treat (or toy) that is ONLY for crate time. We give our pups a smear of peanut butter when they go in their crate and that's the only time we give it to them. It works great.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!