Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Scruffy Mutt Mystery

Ever since we adopted my bigger dog, Trixie, in 2008, we've wondered what kind of dog she is. Looking at her, she appears to be a classic scruffy mutt.  

Some people have compared her to famous classic scruffy mutts such as this one

or this one...

or especially this one.


But I think she looks an awful lot like this one... only bigger!

Trixie and Lily are not genetically related. But I know Lily's specific mix... she's a maltese, poodle, chihuahua, rat terrier combo. I always wondered what other random combination of breeds could create a dog who looked so similar, but a different size!

Today I was looking for some pictures of dogs to help me draw a picture for the newest children's book I'm working on. And I came across this one! 

Hmmm. 

Camera One: 

Camera Two

The non-Trixie dog is Cassie, a Spinone mix. I have heard of most dog breeds, but I've never heard of a Spinone! I decided to look for some more pictures of Spinones and their mixes. Here are a few that I found!

This next one is a former shelter dog who was adopted. Her name is Guiseppe. She's part Spinone, and part Wheaten Terrier. 

Now look at Trixie again!

A purebred Italian Spinone would look more like this: 
or maybe this:


But I can totally see how she could be a Spinone mixed with some sort of terrier. 


What do you think? Could she pass for an Italian Spinone?





7 comments :

  1. Hmmm....well, I don't know what breeds Trixie might be, but I DO know that she sure was lucky to end up being YOUR dog! She is darling - very cute, and looks like she has the same sparkle and spirit that you do! A perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be! I thought Benji when I first saw the first picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just might have figured it out! Every mix even has a little bit of differences. My dog is a Puggle, which is a mix of Beagle and Pug. She doesn't look just like the other puggles in her litter. She doesn't have the complete smushed in pug nose. So, it is likely that even Spimone mixes in the same litter would all look a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she could be a bit of Spimone (which I'd never heard of either). She's totally adorable and I thought of Benji too when I saw the first photo! My mom has rat terriers and they look a little like her as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! Oh my goodness, I am dying with the cuteness! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever she is, she's freaking cute! My family never actually had a dog of single breed. Lol. We generally adopted from the shelter, and we got the best dogs that way! We're still trying to guess what's mixed with Black Lab in my puppy now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!