Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Happy Easter!


Hi everyone! Happy Easter, if you celebrate it! 

Last night I made some cool tie-dye Easter eggs. My mom wouldn't let me make them at first. That sounds ridiculous for a grown-up to say they can't dye eggs because their mother won't let them, but since it is her house she gets to put her iron fist down about stupid things like that. Finally I talked her into letting me dye just three eggs. (And then I dyed four, just to be a punk.)

I forgot to take pictures while I was doing it, but if you are interested in making tie-dye Easter eggs next year (or today, if you're bored) I can give you a quick tutorial for how I did this. 

Step one. Boil the eggs. Obviously. I will not tell you how to do this, because I am not even sure my way is the best way... some people boil them for longer or shorter times, or add stuff to the water. Just do whatever you do. 

Step two... Prepare your supplies. I lined a cookie sheet with tin foil. I filled a bowl with a mixture of vinegar and water. I got out some paper towels, and some plastic wrap. I found some food coloring. You should also use something like rubberbands to tie the plastic closed. (You'll see what I mean in a minute.) 

Step three...Soak one paper towel in the vinegar/water. Lay it out on the cookie sheet. Take your food colors and drop little drops of color all over the paper towel. Because it is wet, the drops will start to spread out like fireworks!

Step four... Dry off one egg. Put the egg in the center of the colorful paper towel. Wrap the egg up in the paper towel. 

Step five. Put the packaged egg in the middle of a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the egg up in the plastic wrap. Secure the top with the rubberband or whatever else you used. (I used clothes pins, actually.) 

Step five... Let them sit like this for at least an hour.The longer you leave them, the better the colors will end up. (Uh... you should leave them in the fridge I think... unlike some people I used to know who would leave their eggs in a basket on the table for a week, and all week long pick out eggs from the basket, peel them, and eat them.)

Step six... When you've waited long enough, unwrap your eggs, and you'll see something like this!


I am always fascinated by the variety of people's holiday traditions. When I was a kid, the Easter Bunny would leave a trail of jelly beans leading from mine and my brother's rooms, out into the living room. We would find our empty Easter baskets on the coffee table, and we would start hunting around the house. The things that were hidden would be malt ball eggs, chocolate wrapped eggs, and jelly beans. Sometimes we would also get chocolate bunnies. Later we would go to my grandparents' house, where we would go on a similar Easter egg hunt for more malt ball eggs, chocolate eggs, and jelly beans. 

In elementary school I started learning that other kids had different Easter-morning traditions. For some kids, the bunny left an already-put-together Easter basket, filled with candy and toys, for the kids to find. Some bunnies hide the very same eggs that the children dyed the night before. Some kids have their Easter egg hunts outside, some indoors like my family did. 

If your family celebrated Easter when you were little, and/or celebrates it now, tell me about your traditions! 

In the mean time, here are some Easter beagles for you to look at.






























5 comments :

  1. Such cute images!
    Happy Easter/Spring to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents hid my basket and left eggs with clues. One year they made me a math based hunt because I hated math. That was my least favorite. LOL My mommom used to do a Easter Egg hunt for my younger brother and sisters. We'd hide those plastic eggs with loose change all over my Mommom's backyard. My siblings would making a killing! My Mommom would give me a ten dollar bill but my siblings always made more...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We left an Easter Basket for my son at his door today and one of the things in it was the Easter egg dye. We were both excited to do it and I also bought a clear wax crayon (to draw on them before we dye them and the dye doesn't stick to the wax so it's a white image in the dye).
    Sadly, like you, we only got to dye THREE out of 12, as when I boiled them for some reason (and yes I know how to boil an egg so this was a first), 9 of them cracked! I think we must have bought the cheap eggs or something??? Dunno..


    I love love your tie died ones and will have to try this next year. Or next week :D Thanks, Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eggs are so pretty!

    When my son was home we would have a basket filled with goodies. We would buy him toys that he would use in the spring and summer. Sometimes he would get something like a new baseball mitt. Then we hid plastic eggs around the house with coins in them. He loved hunting for them. Sometimes he would ask us to hid them again in the yard so he could search for them a second time. He loved hunting for the eggs. This is his first year away at college so we didn't get to hide eggs. We never used real eggs because he didn't like to eat hard boiled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the eggs are lovely (and you are so a punk for doing four! :D)

    I hope you had a lovely Easter

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!