Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism AWARENESS or Autism ACCEPTANCE?

Some of you may know that April is Autism Awareness Month. In fact, today, April 2, is Autism Awareness Day. You may have seen people wearing puzzle piece ribbons, or "lighting it up blue fpr autism" by wearing blue or turning their porch lights blue. 

What you may not know is that there are a lot of people with autism, and their friends and family members, who dislike or have mixed feelings about "autism awareness."

A lot of people feel that Autism Awareness, when promoted by certain autism-related organizations, focuses on autism being a really bad thing that everyone wants to get rid of as soon as possible. People participate in walk-a-thons and other fundraisers to raise money for research that will find the "cure" for autism. Autism is often presented as a disease that steals the lives of children and families... not that autism kills people, at least not directly, but that eliminates any chances of the children and their families have of living a "normal" life. 

I used to follow along with Autism Awareness and even participated in one of the walk-a-thons when I was younger. But the more I began to read books, articles and blogs about it, the more I began to understand why many autistic people and their loved ones are against this movement. 

Would I like to see autism eliminated? No. I would not like to see myself, my friends and fellow bloggers, and many of the children I've worked with over the years, eliminated. 

When I think about the future of autism, I hope for a world where children with autism spectrum disorders don't get bullied or left out by their peers because they are different. A world where people with autism can pursue their favorite interests, and have their talents and abilities appreciated. I would like to take away the idea that people with autism cannot hold jobs, drive, have children, or live on their own. I would like to see that every person with autism has a way to communicate with others... whether that is with their own voices, with augmented communication devices, with letter boards, with PECS pictures, with sign language, or with whatever methods can be discovered... and that these methods become as acceptable in society as voices are. I would like to see families that include kids with autism get all the services they need in order to thrive. I would like to see people with autism living life to the fullest! 

I was reading the blog Mind Retrofit, and she mentioned that some people have started "taking back" the month of April, including April 2, by celebrating Autism Acceptance Day/Month instead. She wrote about wanting to "turn it on 'rainbow' or light it up 'kaleidoscopic' for the month of April.” That made me think about drawing a new symbol that could represent autism in a positive way, not as something that needs to be cured, but as something that needs to be understood, accepted and appreciated. 

But then I also started thinking of other bloggers who have, or whose children have, things like Tourette Syndrome, learning disabilities, or Sensory Processing Disorder. I thought about my blog post from the other day about mental illness. And I decided I wanted to draw a picture that would represent neurodiversity, or the idea that all of our brains work in different ways. 

So this is what I drew:

What do you think? 

Let me know if you think anything else should be on it...I could work on it a little more if you have suggestions. If you like it as it is, feel free to use it as a blog badge, post it on Facebook, or whatever else you want to do with it. 

In the mean time, thanks to all the people who have taken my blog reader survey! If you haven't, you still have two and a half more days to take it! I will be publishing the results on April 5 for my Blogaversary. I am really grateful for everyone who has participated so far! 

OK. I am so bad at ending blog posts smoothly. So uh.. look over there! (::turns and runs away::)

14 comments :

  1. This is a lovely post, and I really like your image! I really like the idea of incorporating a variety of neuro-related stuff, because brains are strange things and I think a lot of us have more than just one thing going on. Plus I think all of us in the Neurodiversity Club can learn a lot from each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like your phrase "Neurodiversity Club." It would be cool if there was an actual club with a clubhouse and everything!

      Delete
  2. Ok first, cracking up at your ending of "turns and runs away!" I love your image and the idea of spreading the message that everybody's brain deserves acceptance. And when it comes to awareness vs. acceptance, I agree with you and am not looking for "a cure" but I do think that for people to accept autism and every differing ability that they need to get it first, ya know? I'm so amazed by how many people still think that all autism looks just like Rain Man. Every single person is unique! It drives me crazy and it's sad to me that so many people are still so ignorant about it so I look at awareness as a way to educate people first and then they have to accept (or hopefully anyway).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! All the time I meet people who have no idea what autism is. Or they envision a little boy sitting silently in a corner rocking back and forth and being unaware of anything going on. That definitely does not describe very many people with autism at all!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your art that you created. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am thinking of putting it on a T-shirt and selling it!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THIS POST! Atta girl! (Or should I say "atta Angel?") Your artwork is lovely but I think that's because it's infused with your passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Atta-Angel! Thanks... I have never considered myself an artist because my drawings are not fancy, but I do love drawing and painting... anything that involves color!

      Delete
  5. Lovely drawing. I think it's great that you are inclusive of all the ways the brain works differently. Just because something is different does not make it bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the artwork! It's a great way to spread such an important message :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this a lot. I actually saw a beautiful animated movie on Netflix the other day called Max and Mary that kind summed this up beautifully. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandson (age 3) is autistic. I got teary reading this. Thank you for sharing. I wouldn't change the sweetest boy I know for anything. And if people accept autism in the way you describe, I know he will have a full and rich life. I'm visiting from the BtC4A hop and saw this on your sidebar. I'm off to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this I love. Truly. Very well said and basically the best ending to a blog post ever! :) And wonderful artwork!

    Signed,
    Mommy to a wonderful little boy with Autism :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finally found this post! I love the words you share here and the image you created is marvelous! Thank you for linking to my blog.

    "I decided I wanted to draw a picture that would represent neurodiversity, or the idea that all of our brains work in different ways." Perfect!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!