Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Now I'm A Horse Lover

Hi everyone! Remember how I mentioned that I was going to begin equine therapy? Today was my first day! 

I was actually a little nervous when I first got there, because things didn't seem to be going well. I found the address where I was supposed to go, but it was just a private building and no signs on the doors or anything. So I didn't even know how I was supposed to get in. I mean, there were doors, but none of them were clearly a door for customers or clients or whatever. I ended up knocking on one of the doors. A Hispanic man opened it. The reason I've specified that he was Hispanic is because he didn't really speak English so it was hard to tell him why I was there and who I was looking for, but he did let me in. Then the barn manager, who was a lady with two dogs, told me that the therapist I was supposed to be meeting had gone off to run errands. She let me go into the "club room" to wait. At this point I was really confused because, although everyone was nice, nobody seemed to know why I was there. But the barn manager had two dogs, a black lab and a German shepherd. The German shepherd was only a puppy. 

I was waiting for a long time. I had left my phone in the car and there were no clocks in the room, but I just started to suspect that the time my appointment was supposed to be at had come and gone quite a while ago. I wondered if the therapist had forgotten about me. I thought about just getting up and leaving. I started feeling pretty disappointed that it hadn't worked out. 

But I'm glad I didn't leave, because eventually the therapist showed up! It turned out, she had written the time wrong in her calendar. She was really nice though. 

We walked through the barn to where her horse was. Then I was starting to understand why nobody seemed to know why I was there. The farm was basically a stable where people could board their horses. The therapist boards her horse there, and is allowed to use the rooms there, but the other people I'd seen there were just workers at the stable, and had nothing to do with equine therapy. 
ANYWAYS... The therapist introduced me to her horse, and she asked me a bunch of questions about whether I was comfortable around horses and whether I had any experience with them. Although I really haven't had any experience with horses, I felt pretty comfortable to go inside the stable. The therapist gave me carrots to feed to the horse, and the horse ate them out of my hand! I think the horse liked me because she kept nuzzling me with her nose and she even licked me a few times, just like a dog!

Most of the time for the session, it was just like a regular counseling session, talking about my experiences and problems and stuff. Except, the whole time, I was brushing, petting, and interacting with the horse! 
I didn't have my phone to take a picture of the horse, but this is very similar to
what she looked like. 
The hour went by so quickly, it was crazy. After it was over, the therapist told me that she noticed, when I was just talking to her, I'd be sort of awkward and answered a lot of her questions with "I don't know," but once I was petting the horse I was able to tell her a whole lot of stuff about myself and answer questions. 

Beforehand, the therapist had mentioned that being around a horse can help someone learn to ease their anxiety, because in order to be around a horse you have to take deep breaths and feel calm, since they can sense your emotions. But I didn't even have to try to be calm around the horse... it just happened naturally! 

So. Originally I was thinking I'd do this maybe once a month. But I was able to get so much out of it, I think I want to do it more often. Of course I will have to pay every time I go. So I am thinking of quitting the social skills group I joined, and using the money to pay for equine therapy instead. I feel bad for dropping out when I just joined, but I just can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars a month on therapy, and I really think I will benefit a lot more when there is a horse involved. 
When I first mentioned horse therapy, the blogger from C-ing Spots left a great comment about how awesome horses were and how much I would love being around them. I think she was definitely right! I can't wait to go back! 

7 comments :

  1. This sounds like a great way to participate in therapy. I often hug my dogs and I know that has therapeutic value.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. I had no idea there was such a service. But I am well aware that animals are therapeutic for children, allowing them to open up to a creature who is consistently loving and non-judgmental. I love horses too - being a lover of all animals - but have very limited experience with them. I'm glad you found this resource for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really awesome program. I think it makes since to do this-and benefit from it, then do the other program and not have it work....keep up with the meet up's though, to help keep up with socializing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO jazzed about this!!!! I sure wish I was there and could go with you. It sounds Amazing!!! I love horses and I love you...so it would be perfect!!!!! Keep it up. I hear this kind of therapy is the cat's meow!!! Tee hee! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - this sounds amazing! And like a really natural way to talk about things. I have a really hard time talking about my problems specifically, especially with therapists but I can see how interacting with the horse while you're talking would make it more like a natural, normal conversation and less like an interview... I can't wait to hear more about it and your progress :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm so glad this went well for you, angel! i have a friend that did equine therapy after attempting suicide 3 times in a row, and she did wonderfully with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time and that you get to go back!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!