Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, March 1, 2014

First Post In March

I couldn't think of an interesting title today. But today is the first day of March! How can that be possible? Does it seem like this year is moving a little quickly? 

The good news is, I've been told (when I was in preschool) that March goes in like a lion and out like a lamb. Right now in Chicago it is definitely a lion. I went out to dinner with my parents today. On our way there and back, we saw several car accidents, caused by cars sliding on the snow! It has not really gotten cold enough all winter for any snow to melt, so instead, the snow has frozen, and we can walk on top of it. It is somewhat amusing to watch my dogs walking on top of the snow... but every few minutes they sink! 
In like a lion, and out like a lamb. Or they might just hang out together. 
Aside from the stupid Chicago weather, things are going pretty well for me. I started my long-term subbing job as an assistant in the classroom where I student taught back in 2012. The kids are fourth and fifth graders with intellectual disabilities; some of them also have autism, and one has apraxia. All great kids! I love being in that classroom. The teacher is very laid back and has a sense of humor, so you don't feel nervous about screwing up. But she also has a very clear behavior plan for the kids, so they usually don't misbehave. She was the best teacher to student teach with, and I am so happy to be working with her again for the next several weeks. 

Today I worked at my volunteer job at the pet rescue organization. I took care of a sweet little chocolate chihuahua named Seahawk! He is the sweetest little guy. He spent most of the time cuddling in my arms. Seahawk's story is kind of disturbing. A pet store in a Chicago suburb was forced to close down. People had been protesting the store for years, because of the fact that it gets puppies from puppy mills. But it turns out that they were also running a secret puppy mill in the back rooms of the stores. Investigators found more than forty adult dogs living in cages that were stacked up four cages high. The dogs rarely got human interaction and never got to go outside or play or do regular dog things. They were used specifically for breeding. When the store closed, my organization rescued many of the dogs. Seahawk was one of them.

He is a little shy when you first meet him, because he's still getting used to interacting with people. And sometimes he is a little grouchy with other dogs, since he's still getting used to interacting with them too. (He lived in the store with tons of other dogs, but since he was in his cage all the time he never really got to know them.) He has to learn how to be a dog, and he's just starting to do things like play with toys. You have to look at his sweet face, though! OMG! 

Seahawk is two years old, but still working on potty training because, like I said, he spent the first two years of his life never going outside for any reason, let alone to go potty. He is a lovely dog, and would be great dog for someone out there. His ideal home will not include young children, because he is very small and shy, and little kids can be unpredictable. It would be cool for him to have another dog to help him continue learning dog things... but he'd probably be happy as an only-dog as well! If you live in the Chicago area and want to meet Seahawk, you can email dogs@almosthomefoundation.org or call 630-582-3738.

Okay. Now that my public service announcement is over, I'm going to go watch some TV with my little dog Lily. Peace! 





2 comments :

  1. I'm so glad that people are starting to wake up to the horror of puppy mills - and kind people like you are taking the time to volunteer to get the little victims socialized so they can enjoy a "second chance." My dog was rescued from a hoarder. I understand the patience required to make Seahawk an adoptable pet. I know this story will have a happy ending for her - BLESS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this made me get up and give my puppy a rub. He's a rescue of sorts, too. We adopted him from a family who loved him, but their dogs beat him up. They adopted him from the family he was born to, and they think the original owners might have shot at the puppies with pellet guns. I'm so glad we have our baby! Yay for puppy adoptions! Great job with your volunteering!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!