Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Feeling Salty

Today I did something kinda fun and cool. There is this place in Chicago called Galos Caves. It is a man-made salt cave. The salt comes from the Black Sea, and it covers the floor and walls, and hangs in crystals from the ceiling. Salt caves are supposed to be very good for people's health... the salt is therapeutic. Spending regular time in a salt cave is supposed to be able to cure all sorts of illnesses, and prevent people from getting colds and respiratory illnesses. Salt caves are really popular in Eastern Europe, especially Poland. And since Chicago has a big Polish population, it makes sense that we would have our very own salt cave!

I have always wanted to go to Galos Caves, ever since I first heard about it several years ago. But I never went because I felt a little nervous to go alone. So I was really excited when one of my Meetup groups had an event there! I even skipped my usual Saturday volunteer job, in order to go!

When I first got there, all I saw was a small room filled with salt. People were sitting around on chairs and nobody was talking. I thought, "Hmm, this might be kind of boring." But then, the lights were turned out, and pretty colored lights were turned on. Peaceful music started playing in the background. And I found out that the chairs could be tilted back. It was really cool!

I don't know if there really are health benefits. The recording we listened to when we got in said that one forty-five minute session is like staying by the ocean for three days, but that in order to really see health benefits you'd have to go ten times. I don't know if that means twice a week, or if you could go once a month for ten months, or what. But I'd definitely be willing to go once a month just to be super-relaxed!
We couldn't bring things in so I couldn't take a picture, but this is a picture I
found online of the inside of Galos Caves. I was sitting where the lady in the
purple shirt is. 
Anyways tomorrow I have something else exciting happening... I am going to my very first equine therapy session! I am a little nervous. I will let you know how it goes! 

3 comments :

  1. There is a salt cave in Chicago?!?! I never heard of such a thing! Next time I'm in Chicago, I may have to give it a go. Sounds interesting.
    Aaaaand I just realized that cat in your sidebar is blinking, wagging its tail and "breathing". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That looks so cool! How long do you stay in the cave, for as long as you want? It sounds like a perfect place to nap... you now how much I love my naps! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. this place sounds so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!