Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Let It Snow... I Guess

This week I worked every single day as a substitute, which I suppose is a good thing. The hard thing was that I was working as a "floater," which can mean anything from having one job in the morning and one in the afternoon, to "floating" through different classrooms each day. One of the days, I floated through three classrooms in the morning before ending up subbing as a special ed aide for the rest of the day. One day, I worked in the same classroom (the same special ed room I subbed in twice last week, actually) all day long. The other three days, I sort of went frantically from one room to the next. This meant getting a list and going into a classroom where the teacher was scheduled to be at a meeting, and pretty much literally stepping in in the middle of a lesson. I had to do thing such as teach a lesson on fractions to a group of fifth graders in a special ed class, whom I had no idea whether they could even talk, let alone whether they were comprehending a thing I was saying. At the end of every day, I was exhausted. It seemed like the week dragged on forever and ever and ever! When Friday finally came, I was practically screaming, "TGIF!"

It has also been so cold out that I've barely gone outside at all, except to get to and from my car, and to take the dogs for short little walks that usually end with me carrying one of them home because their feet get too cold and they sit down and stare accusingly at me until I give them a lift.

I knew my family was having a birthday party for two of my little cousins, one who was turning 12 and one who was turning 8, today. But when I heard that the birthday party was going to involve us taking the kids sledding at the park adjacent to the house where the party was taking place, I wasn't so happy. I just didn't want to be outside in the cold! I imagined standing around freezing my proverbial balls off while watching the kids sled.

I was so tired for most of the party, which was actually pretty small for one of our family gatherings... just my four little cousins, their four collective parents, my parents, and my grandparents, were there. All I could think about was curling up on the couch and taking a short nap! After we ate dinner and dessert, and the two birthday kids had opened their presents, it was time to go sledding. I quickly realized that not everyone was going. The kids were excited to go, of course, but my grandparents, my dad, and the parents of two of my cousins, were staying at the house. So it would have been pretty easy for me to just stay back. But I decided to go.
Here's me grouchily getting ready to go sledding.  You can
actually kind of see how tired and puffy my eyes are... although
they are mostly hidden by my hat!
And it ended up being so much fun! The sled hill was the perfect size because it was big enough to be fun, but small enough that my cousins could actually walk back up the hill themselves (although I did tow up the four-year-old a few times.) The two older kids go sledding all the time at that hill with their parents, so they are pros. The two younger ones' parents are not very active, and so I am not sure they had ever gone sledding at all, but they loved it! And I got to sled too! For two hours I flew down the little hill on sleds, tubes and saucers, and watched my little cousins have fun as well. My mom and my aunt and uncle sledded too.

I was sad when it was time to leave! As we were walking back, I noticed that I wasn't cold at all, despite having rolled off my sled once to avoid crashing into my mom and having experienced snow going up my backside. And my mood was so much better, too! I was energetic and happy! Too bad we didn't go sledding before the rest of the party!

I think this day taught me a lesson... I need to force myself to go out and get fresh air and be active, even when I feel exhausted. Because the fresh air and activity can actually be the anecdote to the exhaustion and gloominess! I know there is a theory that fresh air and exercise can actually cure depression, anxiety and ADHD. I don't believe that completely. However, I think it can definitely help ease the symptoms, or at least bring some short-term relief!

I got my tax refund back today (I filed early... pretty impressive for an ADHDer, huh!) and I am going to use some of it to pay for a monthly gym membership (nothing fancy, just the little hole-in-the-wall place near my house) and get some exercise at least two or three times a week. When it gets warm out, maybe I will start running again. And I am going to look for more chances to get out and do stuff, instead of convincing myself that I am too tired or listless to do them!

OK. That is all for today.

I also climbed a snow mountain in front of my grandparents' house.
I was feeling pretty energetic at that point. But then I fell asleep in the
car on the way home! 



4 comments :

  1. Good news about your refund! And good news about your fun day too. I find that I'm getting very used to this cold. I didn't think that would ever happen, but it has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! You already got your refund! That is fantastic! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. impressed you are on top of your refund game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Getting out and getting fresh air is so important!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!