Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Joining A Group

Is this what my therapy group will look like?
Many moons months ago I mentioned that, instead of going back on my meds, I was looking into different kinds of therapy. Well, I did end up getting back on my meds. But I am still also looking into different types of therapy. For one thing, I am going to start going to equine therapy. I don't know when or how often... I've been emailing with the psychologist who does it. 

Also, I found this Life Skills group offered by a behavioral health center. This is what the description of the group says on the flier: 
This group provides education and support to adults dealing with a myriad of daily life stressors. Topics include: setting short and long-term goals, increasing motivation, maintaining organization at home, work, and school, as well as applying social problem solving skills. This group is ideal for adults dealing with life transitions, social challenges, developmental delays (e.g., Autism Spectrum Disorders), and those simply wishing to lead a more enriched life. Through self-reflection and interactive discussion, participants learn to identify and break unhealthy behavior patterns, successfully navigate social challenges, and gain the courage necessary to lead more productive lives.
Doesn't that sound like it would be perfect for me? 

So I went to the evaluation today and talked to the doctor who runs the group, and right away she said she thought I would be a great fit for the group. But she also mentioned that the other members of the group are younger than me. I don't know how much younger... 18 or 28? There is a big difference! Even though I am young for my age (oxymoron, I know!) it might be hard to relate to some just-out-of-highschoolers. 

I don't know how to explain this, but I also got the feeling that they might not be as "high functioning" as me. 

A few years ago, I used to go to this drop-in group for people with mental health issues. I liked it a lot because we got to go on outings and do activities and arts and crafts and stuff. I eat that stuff up. But a lot of the people there had way more severe mental health issues than I did... to the point where they were living in group homes and stuff. When I first started going there I thought they had intellectual disabilities, but one of the people who ran that group said most were of average or above intelligence. I really loved that group, and I met some nice people and had some fun times. If I lived closer I would still be going there every week. But I don't think being there helped me move forward. It was a really fun and relaxing place and I loved it. But I was one of the very few who lived independently, had a job, drove a car, etc. I don't know how to explain this without feeling like I'm insulting some people, but what I mean is, it wasn't great practice for being out in the real world. The social skills they were trying to teach us there were more like, "Joe told you he likes spaghetti. Now you could tell him your favorite food!" 

So I'm not sure if this new group will be like that. I guess I will have to wait to find out. It starts next week! 

Thanks for the get well soon wishes, by the way. My nose is still pretty stuffy, but I did work today. I was scheduled to work tomorrow as a Special Ed Resource sub, but that got cancelled and the person who scheduled subs independently and without warning scheduled me to sub for a first grade bilingual class. Not sure I would have taken that job if given the choice. But I wasn't given the choice... so I guess I'm up for the challenge! 

5 comments :

  1. That group sounds like a good thing to try as well as the equine therapy. It's a great sign that you're being proactive about your care. That's all people with mental health issues (like me) can do. Be proactive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog, and for leaving such a nice comment. It's always so nice meeting new people here...so, Equine Therapy - oh my gosh, I absolutely recommend it for anyone and everyone!!! Horses are the most amazing animals ever!!! They are so cool just to be around - they're very much like a huge sponge. If I have a bad day, stressed day, sad, grieving, whatever: just a very short time with them, will always make everything so much better. Seriously. The key to interacting with horses is to be relaxed and quiet-minded. Leave your agendas behind and just be with them in the moment. Bury your nose in their warm necks and breathe deeply of their incredible scent! There's nothing like it! I just know you'll love it, and will fall in love with them forever...they are the most honest, accepting and amazing animals on the planet. If you trust them, you will be rewarded with their unending trust. They're also the most forgiving animals too - just blows me away with what they have to teach us. Hope you have fun with them. And good luck finding a group that works for you - that's the challenge in life, I think...finding the people that fulfill our special and unique needs.
    Oh, and thanks for the thumbs up about Key West - I sooo wanna go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely sounds like it is worth a shot! Hope the subbing went well! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so proud of you for looking into that! I know that must have been a huge step. I hope it is a great fit for you and you find a ton of support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems as though you have some really good resources, where I live it's pretty limited and I know a few people who would probably thrive much better if given better opportunities for care.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!