Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Time For Dogs

Today I went to my volunteer job at the animal rescue organization. My job is to go to the adoption shows, take care of a dog, walk the dog around and try to get people interested in adopting him.

One of the dogs I've had most often is Rickles. I've blogged about him before... he is an 11-year-old rat terrier/chihuahua mix. He's going to have a hard time to get adopted, because of his age and because of the fact that he doesn't really like other dogs. But he's a really sweet dog. He doesn't really bark at or try to attack other dogs, but if they approach him and "get in his face," he tends to snap at them. He just doesn't have the patience for their shenanigans anymore!

Today Rickles wasn't feeling so well. When his foster mom brought him in, she was carrying him and he was shaking. She said he had fallen down twice outside when his leg collapsed on him. After she left, it happened again... his leg gave in, he collapsed, and he had diarrhea on the floor at the same time. 

But he was cheerful except for that! He loves to keep walking, and we walked around and around the store for hours. Rickles loves to try to look under the shelves for food. 

I wasn't feeling that well either. My allergies were out of control! I'm not usually allergic to dogs, but I guess with so many dogs all inside on a dry, cold day, they can activate my allergies, which had already been flaring up lately. So I was walking around with itchy eyes, sneezing all over the place, and trying to supervise Rickles, who was limping.

I was kind of happy that the people who run the adoption show decided to call Rickles's foster mom and ask her to pick him up early. By that time I was feeling awful. I stopped at Walgreens and got some generic Claritin, and then fell asleep downstairs on the couch. When I woke up I still had terrible allergies, so I resorted to taking a Benadryl, which made me take another nap! Even now, I am still feeling a little Benadryl buzz. 

Rickles's foster mom gave me a Christmas present, which I totally wasn't expecting. It is so cute... it is a little watch, shaped like a dog! It has a clip so you can clip it onto your belt loop or purse. She told me it is to remind me of when it is "time for Rickles." I think I am going to start bringing it to work with me on my belt loop. It will be less bulky than carrying my cell phone around in my pocket, and the kids will like it! 


Here is Rickles. If you live in the Chicago area and would be interested in a sweet older doggie who is not good with other dogs (cats and small children are probably questionable as well) check out his profile online at Almost Home Foundation! 

4 comments :

  1. What a sweet looking dog - bless him! But mostly, YOU, my dear - for giving and giving and giving - even on days when it sounds like you have nothing left to give. I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a sweetie. Too bad I don't like in the Chicago area. And I absolutely love the watch. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angel,
    How sweet of you to volunteer your time like this! I hope you are feeling better. Your blog looks awesome, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cutie! I would really like to volunteer too, but I also have allergies :(. I have an allergy friendly dog myself and I love her so much!

    Visiting from the SITS Tribe Building Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!