Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Friday, January 31, 2014

Lets Ketchup And Mustard!

This is how I felt when I was sick! 
I missed another couple of days on my blog, didn't I? I had the misfortune of getting a bad sinus infection. The annoying part was, the schools I sub for were closed on Monday and Tuesday due to the cold. I didn't work last Friday, so I had Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, off. On Wednesday I was supposed to start a three day long subbing job that the school had specifically asked me to do, instead of putting it out to the general subbing population for anyone to pick up. I was really nervous and excited about it, but mostly excited. It was for a special education class at the school where I used to student teach. I knew I would be in my element there and it would be a good chance for me to really teach, not just try to survive a day in a classroom. 

I had been having wicked allergies all weekend. But I was grateful that I was otherwise healthy, not getting the flu or anything. Allergies are manageable. Meanwhile, on Facebook, my cousin's fiance was also posting about her own allergies, which eventually turned into a sinus infection. It was almost like foreshadowing. I saw that and thought, "Oh yeah, that's right... this could actually turn into a sinus infection!" And low and behold, by Tuesday afternoon I sure did have a sinus infection! I could tell because, instead of the itchiness and sneeziness of normal allergies, my nose was now completely clogged and my face was painful. I thought I'd take some extra vitamins, go to bed early, and wake up fine... but I was up all night, unable to sleep because I couldn't breathe and my nose and face was so painful. I got up and went to my subbing job anyway. But I could barely handle it. I spent the whole time sneezing and snorting and blowing my nose. I cannot take any sort of medication during the day, because it will make me sleepy... even products that claim to help you stay awake, like Dayquil. I did go to Walgreens on my lunch hour and get some Sudafed, but that didn't help. I was a hot mess. I could hardly pay attention to the kids. Luckily, the two classroom aides helped out a lot. I felt really stupid being a substitute who shows up too sick to work!

So on Thursday I decided to stay home, even though I felt horrible about cancelling the job I'd agreed to. I spent the whole day sleeping and drinking orange juice. Today I went back and I handled the day like a pro... and the secretary asked me to come back and sub all five days next week! 

I guess I'd better rest up this weekend!

My sinus infection was the reason why you didn't hear from me on Wednesday or Thursday. That was the whole point of the whole twenty paragraphs above.

In other news... I am still doing research on the history of my house! But I have managed to squeeze every possible ounce of information from the Internet, so I have moved on to other sources. I wrote letters to several of the people who lived in this house previously. All of the actual owners of the house are deceased, of course... considering they were all of house-buying ages by 1943... but their children are still alive, all in their 70's and 80's. I wrote to them, asking them if they had any memories about the house, the neighborhood, etc. I'm also waiting for it to get a little warmer out so I can walk to the historical society and look in the old phone books (the years I couldn't find online, which are the particular ones I need) to see if someone is listed with our address. I have some specific names I'll look up first, but if that doesn't work, I will actually read the entire phone book. (Easier than it sounds... the phone book was only about ten pages long back then!) 

OK... that is all the amusing news I have for now! 

8 comments :

  1. Bless your heart! I hope you feel better very soon! Get some rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 've been trying to take it easy all weekend!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of researching your house! Ours was built in the 1960s and there was only one owner before us so we know quite a bit about it. My husband is friends with the son of the original owners and that friend grew up in our house so he's a wealth of info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be cool to be able to find out anything you want to know from the original owners because you're friends with them! I really hope my people write back.

      Delete
  3. I've been doing a long-term sub job tiny kiddos, and I guess their germs were too strong for my defenses. Lol. Despite getting the flu shot, I still got the flu a few weeks ago and had to miss three days of school. Blessedly, I got over it quickly. I was told if I hadn't had the shot, I would have been knocked out of the ring for two weeks. I think we learn to love the kiddos, but not their germs! Hope you're all recovered soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get replies!

    Sinus infections are the worst. I got a severe one in 2009 and I swear, it was the worst I have ever felt.I got put out of work for 3 days and I was sobbing on the phone with my Mom because I felt so miserable. Plus my taste buds got really messed up and I could not drink coffee for ages afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow it even messed up your taste buds on a long term basis? I have trouble tasting things when my nose is clogged, but luckily that seems to clear up when my nose does.

      Delete
  5. Yeah little kids are so germy! And they eat their boogers!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!