Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Friday, January 17, 2014

January Is Long And Cold

I am really glad we are halfway through January.

January is my least favorite month out of the year. It is already such a sad month... October through December are filled with celebrations, parties, and family, but then once you get into January you are back to the old grind, filled with cold, dark, empty days.

In January my allergies get worse than ever. The basement leaks and the carpet and walls start to get moldy and mildewy, and I sneeze and my eyes itch and burn. People always think I have a cold, but it is allergies. (Some easy ways to tell the difference are that colds often come with headaches, fatigue, fever, etc, and they come and go... they may get really bad, but then they go away. Allergies, on the other hand, don't come with many other symptoms, but they do stick around much longer than colds do. Plus with allergies your eyes, throat and nose will itch horribly. That is what I have.)

My skin gets so dry too. I put coconut oil on my skin every day and it helps, but I'm still dry. The eczema on my eyelids flares up, and it hurts to blink.

I try to drink a lot of water. And I like to drink a lot of orange juice too, because it makes me feel like I am drinking sunshine.

Sometimes in the daytime the snow looks so pretty... like earlier today when it was coming down in big, fluffy, glittery flakes. But it is still not fun to walk the dogs when the sidewalks are covered with ice. I have to waddle along like a penguin.

I miss the sun! I want to go outside in a T-shirt in shorts. I want to feel the grass on my bare feet. I want the sun in my window to wake me up in the morning, instead of being woken up to my alarm clock when it is still dark outside. I want to be wearing less than three layers of clothes at all times!

The only good thing about January is that, instead of going into winter, we are now headed towards spring. I love spring and summer, but I almost love the anticipation of spring and summer even more... those first few days when the snow starts melting and you can sort of feel spring in the air! The other day it was 30 degrees and I wanted to take my jacket off! When it gets to be forty or fifty degrees in Chicago, people start rolling down their car windows.

I really think the lack of sun effects my depression levels. My energy is so low. I have no motivation to do anything. I could sleep for days. Today because I had a meeting from 8 to 10 in the morning about subbing in an additional district, I didn't have to work for the rest of the day. I was going to get a lot of stuff done, but I ended up just passing out on the couch for four hours! 

I can't wait for winter to be finished!

Lily and I are tired of winter! 
Here is something that will cheer us all up. Have you seen the Subaru dog commercials? I love them! Especially the little puppy in the baby seat!




1 comment :

  1. Winter is a very hard season for me. I tend to get depressed as well, or start freaking out over stuff that normally wouldn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!