Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Friday, December 6, 2013

Be My Advisor!

 Okay, everyone, I need some advice. 

I'm sure some people think I'm a total Negative Nelly (is that a thing???) because I always have something to complain about! I don't think I complain about everything... but I am also not always good at putting a positive spin on things... so if that irritates you, sorry!

Anyways.  The thing I have been complaining about the most lately is my job. As some of you know, I got a job as a special education aide for a first and second grade class. And in theory, the job is awesome! I absolutely love the kids. Love them, dude. And the staff members are way nicer and more patient than where I worked last year. 

But the thing is, as of late I've started feeling like this job isn't much better than the last one, in many ways. I like to be challenged, whereas I feel like at this job my whole life consists of doing what I am told to do... not only by the teacher, which I don't really mind, but by all of the other aides as well because they've been there longer. I am not doing any sort of teaching at all. I kind of wrote about that here so you could go read it if you want. It's kind of like a really long babysitting job each day. 

The annoying thing about me is that, when I start feeling like this about a job, I start getting sad and nervous all the time about leaving. For instance, today is Friday, and I already feel like throwing up or crying or hiding under the bed every time I think about reporting to work on Monday. Even though there is nothing really bad about it. It is an easy job, a very easy job, although sometimes physically tiring because of all the lifting of kids and wiping of butts and what have you. I have weekends off, all government holidays off (unpaid though) and weeks off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring break. I am home each day by four. I am sure a lot of people would be desperate for a job like mine, even for only $11/hour with no benefits. So I am dumb to complain, right? I should count my blessings, right? I don't know why I am starting to be so sad about it. 

Here's the thing I need advice about.

When I finish my online classes in a week or two, I will still not be qualified to teach early childhood in a school (I need a few more classes to get that approval) but I will have enough to be the lead teacher in a child care center or Head Start program. 

So... here's the hypothetical situation. Let's say I just happen to start browsing around early childhood education jobs. And let's say I found the opportunity to be a teacher in a day care or Head Start program. And let's say the pay was a little higher, and there was insurance. (Most day cares do offer pretty good insurance to all full time employees.) 

Would it be right for me to even start looking for another job? Would this be like looking a gift horse in the mouth?

I feel like being a teacher, even in a day care center, would be helping me move forward. Even though it wouldn't necessarily be specifically with kids with special needs, statistically speaking there are at-risk kids and kids with special needs in every group. And I'd be teaching.

Plus the pay and insurance, of course. 

But... 

If I were to find, and take, a job like that, I'd have to walk out on my current job, which I feel would be rude. And, if I manage to arrange to move to Oregon, I'd also be leaving the new job eventually. 

Give me some advice, Internet! As always, I want to hear what you really think! I can't promise I'd take your advice, but I do want to hear your point of view. It will seriously contribute to my decision. 

Should I start looking for a  better job? Or stick it out at this one? 

2 comments :

  1. My viewpoint is that steady progress upward is always a good thing! If you had not been motivated to take classes to earn the additional certification, I'd say keep the job and try to stay positive. However, you are now qualified for more and you deserve more. Look for another job, interview -if only for experience- and make your final decision on accepting only after it is offered to you. If there is guilt over leaving the nice people you work with now, ask yourself if THEY would leave YOU in the event of a better offer. We both know that they would - and it would not be a personal statement against you! There are times where everyone has to put themselves first. You do enough of taking care of others every day! Best wishes! I know you'll do the best thing in the end! You're half way there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I don't think you complain too much. You're addressing problems! After all, you can't improve a situation if you're not able to see what's wrong with it.

    My advice would be, take it one step at a time. See what's out there. You may find that schools have their 2014 budgets set and aren't hiring for the type of job you want right now anyway, so you'll find you wasted your time worrying about nothing. And then, if you find a prospective job that looks like a really good fit, interview for it. You don't have to worry about whether or not to take it until they offer it to you!

    So one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!