Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Monday, November 18, 2013

I'm So Old I Fart Dust!

Just to remind you, tomorrow is my 100th post, and I'm "celebrating" by answering ANY questions you have, about me, life, or anything else in the world! You can email me at angel_the_alien@aol.com, comment on this blog, or ask anonymously at http://ask.fm/Angel_the_alien! I can't wait to hear your questions! You have until 3:00 pm tomorrow to ask. 

I don't like to divulge my real age, because I don't really look my age and I just don't seem my age. Because of the way I act and the aura I give, most people assume I'm a lot younger. How much younger? Anywhere from being carded when buying drinks, to being offered the children's menu in restaurants.

The only thing that really gives away my age is the things I can remember. Today on the blog Finding Ninee she blogged about answering machines from the eighties, which inspired me to write this post. I know there a lot of you who remember things way before I do, but there are also a lot of you who will be, like, "Whooooooaaa!"

I can remember answering machines from the eighties. My uncle was the first person in our family to get one. I remember being at my Nona's house for some family gathering, and my uncle told us about his answering machine. We all took turns calling his phone number and listening to the message! Years later, when my parents got an answering machine, we would record funny messages. In one message, my parents and brother all made, "Mmmm! Mmmm! MMMMM!" noises, as if their mouths were gagged, while I said, "Hi! You have reached the 'Miller' family! We're all tied up right now so we can't come to the phone, but please leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as we're free." In another, my brother and I sang, "Hello... hello ... hello!" like the Three Stooges before our "please leave a message" message.


I can remember house phones with dials, and also with buttons... and I can remember the very first cordless phones! They were exciting because you could walk out in your backyard and still be talking to someone. You might even be able to walk to your neighbor's house! 











 I remember having a TV like this. I think we had a couple of them, one of which was black and white. Once we got cable, you always had to keep the bottom dial turned to the letter U. I don't know why. Me and my brother liked turning the TV on and off fast so we could look at the little blobs of color that were left on the screen when you turned it off. 
When we didn't have cable... we seemed to have it on and off, depending on how well my parents were doing at the time... the TV had bunny ears and you could make the picture come in better if you added a little bit of tin foil. 

This was the video game my brother and I played with was Colecovision. We were not cool enough for Atari! 


My favorite game was Smurfs. I can still remember the song that was playing in the background! This smurf has to jump over the fence. 
My other favorite was called PepperII, and it was pretty similar to PacMan. I loved it because each level gave you a different color of "carpet" (that's what I thought it was) to clean, and to me for some reason it was the stimmiest thing ever! 

What else did we play with? I loved Weebles! (They wobbled, but they didn't fall down!) I also loved Little People! But the Little People we had now were way different from the ones kids have these days. They were actually little. Real choking hazards. Except we didn't choke on them, because we actually played with them instead of just jamming them in our mouths!
I had this


Does anyone know CPR? 
"Little People" when I was a kid

"Little People" now.... WHAAAAAAAAAT?

We also played outside most of the time. We had a swingset like this. I loved the see-saw best (is that what it was called) and I bet every other kid with autism did as well! 

My mom drove a station wagon that looked very similar to this. My brother and I liked ti sit in the "way back," which is the furthest back part> The seat was facing backwards. We wore our seatbelts usually, but we didn't have to sit in car seats after the age of two. Let alone the superduper rocketship rearfacing seats they strap 8-year-olds into these days! Also you could fold the "way back" seat down for extra storage space, but sometimes if there were too many kids to fit in the car or if we just felt like it, we'd pile onto the folded down seat and just go commando! 

I definitely remember records. This was my family's main source of music. I even had a little kid record player, with my own records of children's music, that I could spend hours listening to! Pretty sure this is is what it looked like. 

Can anyone guess what decade I grew up in? Leave me a comment, and I'll tell you if you're right! 

2 comments :

  1. Okay - I am guessing that you grew up in the 80s and are between 30-35 years old. My daughters, who are between 27-33 also rode in the "way back!" I still have the "real" Little People they played with and am not amused what has been done to them! My infant daughters came home from the hospital in my lap in the front seat of our car! They were handed to us by a smiling nurse who wished us a good life!
    I refused to buy an answering machine! Our default "message" was, "If we don't answer we're not home"....duh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! :) You just brought back sooo many memories!! I grew up in the 70's and 80's~ we had weebles, Atari, the Smurf game (totally forgot that one!), the way, way back with pop up seats! Thanks for the awesome memories! I had really forgotten most of that stuff...that shows how really old I am!

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!