Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I Don't Want To Eat My Friends!

He is not really happy. 
 I like to say I am an aspiring vegetarian. I really hate the idea of eating meat.

The reason is because I love all animals, and I think of all animals as my friends! I can't stand the thought of any animal being killed or even hurt.

I cried my eyes out once when I saw a dead coyote by the side of the road. I cried when I read a story about a horse that drowned in a flood. I cried when my mom told me about a bobcat eating a rabbit when she was in Arizona. I cried when my parents bought a mousetrap. (I don't think they have managed to put it in the attic yet, because I will have a conniption fit if they do!) I cry every time I read those traumatizing stories on Facebook about the mean things people do to animals.

So does it make a lot of sense that I would eat dead animals? 

I do though, somehow. I've tried to be a vegetarian on and off. It is harder right now though because I live with my parents and my mom sometimes makes dinner for everyone. So if she makes something it is kind of awkward to just not eat it, or eat something else. Or, like, my dad really enjoys meat, so if I go out to eat with him he will usually choose a hamburger or hotdog place. Which would mean my only option would be to eat a side salad. And I don't really like salad all that much,. Unless it is a really good salad from Portillo's or someplace. So if we go out to eat, I might choose meat. But i have to try not to think about it. Probably, about 75% of the time, I don't eat meat. I subsist on things like avocado sandwiches, noodles, rice, etc. 

The reason I am posting this today is because, everywhere I look, there are jokes and things about turkeys not wanting to get eaten. There are even children's books about turkeys trying to figure out ways of evading getting eaten by people. It is bad enough to eat meat when you think of it as an animal that was once alive. But to think of an animal that is actively trying to avoid being killed, and then eat it? After it just worked so hard at not dying? HOW IS THAT FUNnY?

I don't think I am going to eat the turkey tomorrow. Even though I know it will smell good. I don't even like the taste of meat that much... I mostly just like what you put on it! For instance, if I ate a turkey sandwich, with mayo, I would probably be just as happy to eat bread and tofu with mayo. Or just bread with mayo. And there is also a lot of other food at the feast that is way more delicious. Like baked macaroni and cheese! 

Besides, if the turkey is supposed to be part of the "traditional" feast eaten at the first Thanksgiving (which didn't really happen anyways, but let me not get started on that...) we should probably also be eating eagles and seals. 


1 comment :

  1. I agree with you. Have never thought those jokes were funny. I wish you well in your pursuit of vegetarianism. People who avoid meat are far healthier than those who do.
    I'm very impressed with the wide range of compassionate ideas you hold and the way you express them.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!