Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Monday, October 21, 2013

My First Twisted Mixtape!

 Hi everyone! Thanks for your kind concern over my bashed-in head the other day. Someone mentioned that it could have been a concussion, because uncontrollable crying can be a symptom. I guess it is possible. I did have a concussion once, when I banged my head so hard getting into a car that it resulted in my getting STAPLES IN MY HEAD! (It was a weird experience if there ever was one.) And I remember being very overly emotional a few hours after returning, and also very cold and shivering like crazy. So this may have been similar but milder. (I think it was very close to the same spot, too!)
Anyways, I am fine now, as far as I can tell. And I am participating in my very first Twisted Mix Tape Tuesday! 

The object of this game is to post a "mix tape" of songs on a particular theme. This week, the theme is songs that have a personal spiritual meaning to you. They don't have to be religious songs at all... as long as they have some kind of spiritual meaning to you... and you can interpret the word "spiritual" in any way you want. Even if you are an atheist, you've most likely felt the feeling of being completely happy and at peace when listening to a certain song. 

Here are the rules, in case you want to play along on your blog. "Five songs (give or take). Stick to the theme (as best you can). Check out the other players (everyone wants to share their tunes with you). Create a mix, not a “hey look at all the cool songs I know” we’re not snobs, if you were our best bud and you were gonna make us a tape, what would it be? And share this party so more people will play next week!"

Now, here are a few songs that I chose!

Ripple, by the Grateful Dead.

I heard this song for the first time when my brother played me the Persuasions version when he was visiting once many years ago. To me this song is about everyone having an effect on everyone else, and that the mysteries that can't be explained are a sign that the whole world is connected. I love the lat few lines. Listen to it!


Be Thou My Vision, as sung by Van Morrison. 
My love of this song goes back to when I was a teenager, homeless, and staying in the extremely Christian town of Wheaton, IL. As soon as you step foot into Wheaton, people start evangelizing to you. Being young, lonely, and impressionable, I quickly was befriended by some kids from the very religions Wheaton College. They only listened to Christian music (if any at all) and so, when riding around in their cars, I was introduced to a lot of this music. I was also introduced to hymns while I attended a traditional Church of England church. "Be Thou My Vision" was one of my favorite church songs. One day, a close friend of mine from the homeless shelter I'd stayed at recently had gotten in a fight and had been badly injured. He was in the ICU at the hospital several towns away. I had no car and not much money, so I went to one of my new Wheaton College friends to ask for a ride to the hospital so I could be with my friend. While we were riding in the car, I heard this song come on the radio, and I took it to mean that everything was going to be alright. (It did turn out alright, in the end.) Later I wanted to find this song so I looked it up at the library, and the only album they owned that had it was Van Morrison's Hymns To The Silence. I borrowed it, and taped Van Mirrison's version onto my own actual mixed tape! (It was the 90's, man.) I still love this version, and I do not own it anywhere on my iPod or anything, because it doesn't seem to exist on iTunes.


Darlin' Do Not Fear, by Brett Dennen.
When I first listened to the lyrics of this song, I was going through a lot of anxiety. To me, the words to this song mean, you don't really know what is going to happen, so why be afraid? I may be really worried that I might never find a real teaching job and that I will have to be dependent on others forever and ever. But I don't know that will happen. So why be afraid of it? My favorite part of this song is the part that goes "If you have a broken heart or a battered soul, Find something to hold on to or to let go, To help you through the hard nights like a flask filled with hope." To me it means find something good, something you love or something you have to look forward to, and just use it to help you get through all of the bad times.  Small Dog is one of the "things" I hang onto like a life raft. 



Two Angels On A Cloud, by Gerald Jay Markoe
This one doesn't have a video. It doesn't even have words! I found this song on an instrumental CD about angels. It is really calming and beautiful music. I used to listen to the CD at night when I was trying to fall asleep, and this was always my favorite song. When you close your eyes and listen to it, you really do feel like you're on a cloud with two angels! (At least, I do!)
http://www.mboxdrive.com/p/25DMDPUaWr/

Imagine, by John Lennon

I fell in love with this song when I was in junior high and I heard it on the oldies station. It was so pretty and haunting, and I was always excited when I got the chance to hear it again! Despite being raised by a die-hard Beatles fan and being a big fan of the Beatles myself, I had no idea that this song was by John Lennon... until it came on the radio one day while I was in the car with my dad. I said I loved that song, and he told me what it was... and that he actually had the record! Needless to say, this was another one I added to one of my actual mix tapes.
This is the actual video for the song, so enjoy.


Now that you've heard some of my favorite spiritual songs, I hope you'll share some of yours! 

11 comments :

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Be Thou Vision" --I have a request that it either be sung or someone has to find a decent version of it and have it played at my memorial service. I almost put it on my mixed tape this week, but couldn't find a version of it that I like... I needed a more "Celtic"/Irish-y version and wasn't finding one to my satisfaction, so I gave up. So, I am happy you put it on your list.

    Glad you joined in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorites here are Ripple and Imagine......classics from these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a trifecta on the liking of Imagine... v cool
    (Like) the Ripple pick as well.
    Welcome to the TMT Tuesday! (it is a very good bloghop)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Twisted Mixtape Tuesday!! I'm fairly new to it, too. The guys of TMT are awesome. :)

    I really liked Brett Dennen's song! Took note of it and I'll go and get this song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Imagine. It's my first time doing the mixtape too. I enjoyed your selection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You came out of the gate strong for your first mix tape! Welcome aboard our crazy train!
    Solid picks. Imagine, who could not love this song. Easily one of the most beautiful songs ever written. Dead is a good pick too!
    Hope you'll be back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all THANK YOU so much for playing! And I am so glad that despite my hacked and recovering site you found us! Also, wow! For a first time list this is amazing, the perfect list and the perfect intepretation. I don't know if you knew me before this mix, but I left civilization followed the Dead for 2 years so you had me at Ripple, and you are right about that song. It wasn't even on my radar this week. But it is a fabulous song. I also don't live far from Wheaton, so another quinky dink. Anyway, I hope you come back, you certainly have something amazing to share! (ps I like to pin all posts to get them some extra traffic, your site wouldn't let me pin, I'll check again next week to see if that has changed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great version of Be Thou My Vision. What a great hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you played! Thanks so much. Also? Imagine is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, Imagine is such a beautiful and spirit warming song. The way we should all live for sure.

    I liked your list, liked you sharing your stories with us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!