Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Who Thinks I Should Move?

 Now both Sunny and my aunt are trying to convince me to move out to the northwest. Besides the fact that I would be near them and would get to spend time with them (and Squeak of course, plus my cousin lives out here) both of them have pointed out that people are much more laid back and accepting out here. 

My aunt grew up in Chicago just like me, but moved out here when she was a young adult. Summer grew up in the northwest but has visited Chicago. So they both kind of know what the midwest is like. They've sort of explained that in the midwest there are more expectations for the image you will project. People have to choose a specific style to follow, they have to act a certain way, they have to live their lives in certain ways. People are more judgmental. (No offense to anyone who lives there... obviously I do to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the pace of life is faster, more competitive, and more pressurized. My aunt, especially, says that people are way more laid back and friendly here, more accepting of different lifestyles. 
For instance, the picture at the top of this post was taken by my aunt today. We had just finished hiking a few different trails and sight seeing. Since I came out here with mostly shorts and T-shirts (I packed for summer weather in California, not fall weather in Oregon) my aunt has loaned me hiking boots, a windbreaker, and a hat. I had commented that I needed to keep the hat on because my hair was a hot mess, and that my mom would probably scold me for not sucking in my stomach in this picture in order to look skinnier. My aunt replied, "That's the thing about living in here. People don't care about things like that." She said that in this picture I look like a very typical northwesterner. Both Sunny and my aunt have said that I would fit in so much better here.

Lets weigh the pros and cons. And for this argument, we are going to assume that I would be able to find a job and have a place to live in either Chicago or the northwest (by northwest, I mean northern California up through the Portland area.)

MOVING TO NORTHWEST

Pros- Be near Bro, Sunny, Squeak and Pibble. I'd get to spend a lot more time with them and wouldn't have to miss out on giant gaps of Squeak's life! 
        - Be closer to Aunt, Uncle and cousin.
        -Would have an easier time making friends because I'd already have Sunny and Bro's friends.
       - Surrounded by nature. (Rivers, mountains, forests, the ocean, etc.)
       - I'd be able to swim regularly in the river! 
       - Laid back, friendly atmosphere
       - Not nearly as cold and snowy in the winter as Chicago! 

Cons - Would be far away from my parents, grandparents, and other aunts, uncles and cousins. I'd be homesick. 
         - I would probably bring Small Dog with me, and Big Dog, who is really my parents' dog, would stay behind, so I'd miss Big Dog a lot and the separation would be hard for Big Dog and Small Dog. (Of course that would happen even if I got my own place in Chicago, but at least there we could visit more often!) 
        - There are a lot of large animals here. Small Dog could get eaten by one of them! Like a cougar!
        - I could get eaten by a cougar!  

Okay, everyone, lets take a vote. Should I stay in Chicago, or move out to the northwest? I'd especially like to hear your opinion if you live or have lived in either area! 

By the way, I'm participating in a new Linky Party, Weekends Are Fun! Join in, if you'd like! 

2 comments :

  1. Move! It's a new adventure and you can always go back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with CJ, expand your experiences. It helps you to grow.
    Thanks for sharing your post on Oh My Heartsie Girl this weekend.
    Karren

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!