Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Friday, September 6, 2013

The Three Greatest Moments Of My Life

My nephew Squeak, at one week old. He is now 3 months
old, and WAY bigger than this. I'm pretty sure they're
feeding him steroids or something! 
 I kind of feel like I have been posting a blog entry every five minutes here lately! But I really appreciate all of the new readers who have been popping in from the September Blog Challenge. I love getting comments and making new friends! 
Today the question is, what have been the three greatest moments of my life? That is a hard question. I mean, I have had a whole lot of moments in my life and I am pretty bad at comparing them to each other. For instance when I am riding the Raging Bull at Six Flags, I may very well think "This is the greatest moment of my life!" And it very well may be. Because I love Six Flags, and the Raging Bull is my favorite ride. So when I'm on it, I'm at the peak of my happiness. But I don't think that is the kind of "greatest moment" the blogging prompt is thinking about! 

Greatest moments. Well, one would definitely be the time I got to witness, and assist with, the birth of a litter of puppies. I had been friends with this one family for a long, long time. The daughter was my best friend, and the mother was like a second mother to me, at the time. I was living at the time with the daughter, her three children, and her husband. They also had a female dog. Their oldest son had been begging for a chihuahua, so eventually my friend and her husband okayed it, and they went online and found someone who was giving away chihuahua puppies. It was kind of weird because the puppies were actually five months old already. So they brought home this puppy. The dog they already owned was not spayed, and they did not neuter this new puppy. And at first the new puppy was pretty harmless, because he was a puppy. But apparently they can deposit their seeds as young as six months old. It was pretty much inevitable. So the female dog got pregnant. When it was getting close to the dog's time to deliver her puppies, they sent the dog over to my friend's mother's house, because she had experience in delivering puppies. I went along because I love dogs and the dog loved me and I could help keep her calm. Late that night, I got to be one of the first people to hold eight puppies as they were born! I warmed them up by putting them in the pocket of my hoodie. They were as tiny as mice! All eight of them could fit in a shoe box! It was so awesome to experience. And one of those puppies would eventually become my Small Dog. 

Next would have to be my graduation from college! It took me so long to do. And even though I was way older than the typical college graduate, my parents insisted that I sign up to "walk" in the graduation ceremony. So I did it... I felt really foolish wearing a cap and gown with all those young college kids. But my parents were watching, and other family members were watching the streamed version on the college website. It was probably one of the first times that I felt everyone was actually proud of something I'd done... usually I was kind of the black sheep in the family! 

And then there was the first time I held Squeak, my baby nephew. He was all fresh and new at one week old, and he pretty much slept the whole time I was there. But it felt so crazy and exciting to hold a baby that was my brother's son. Although many of my friends' children had grown up calling me Auntie and I had helped raise quite a few of them, I had never had a real niece or nephew that was connected to my family. Of course by "real" I mean, related to my family... My future children will most likely come to me through adoption, and after Squeak was born I very frantically asked my mom if she would love my children the same way as she loves Squeak, even though they won't be biologically related. My mom said yes, she would love them no matter how they spun their way into our family, and I hope that is true... because that is what I mean by "real," I mean a real part of my whole family, someone that my aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins will all know and love. 

It is past midnight, and I am writing this post for tomorrow (Friday, which I guess really is "today" since it is past midnight and all) and I am afraid I am no longer making sense, so it is time for me to get some shut-eye! Until later, everyone!
 

3 comments :

  1. Holding a newborn is such a precious moments.
    I don't have any nieces or nephews, but I expect that they would bring me lots of joy just like my babies.
    I also think it's neat you want to adopt... so many children need a good, loving home!

    Also, I like your font... it reminds me of a journal =)
    Stopping by from the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The important thing is that you accomplished a major goal and your family was there in person and online to witness it. You have accomplished something that many people have not. It's always a great feeling to be surrounded by those you love who are also proud of you for doing something so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made perfect sense. I haven't graduated from college so I think it is awesome to do it at any age :)

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!