Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Happiness Challenge Day 2!!!

Rickles is a senior citizen dog who needs a home!
 Here I am, back for my second day of the Happiness Challenge. Let's see, what made me happy today? 
I was happy to have cottage cheese for breakfast, because I love cottage cheese... especially large curd. Many people hate it. I grew up eating it... partly because my dad was a milkman when I was a little kid, and he'd bring home stuff for us. Large curd cottage cheese is one of my favorites... just plain, no fruit in it or anything. Sometimes I like cinnamon on it though. 
I'm happy because I volunteered at the pet rescue organization today. I volunteer there just about every Saturday, unless I'm out of town or something. It is actually the same rescue organization where I got one of my dogs from! My job there is just to walk around Pet Smart with a dog who needs to be adopted, and try to get people to interact with the dog, fall in love with it, and adopt it. The best thing about it is that all of the dogs are in foster homes, so you don't have to worry about them being locked in a cage at the pound, or, worse yet, being put to sleep. They are in good foster homes, and they will never be put to sleep unless it is a last resort due to a health reason, like if they have cancer that can't be treated and they're in a lot of pain. Even if they never end up getting adopted, they have a place to call home. Today my dog was an 11-year-old rat terrier called Rickles. He was very sweet and loved to be petted, and whenever people walked up to him he'd start wagging his stubby little tail! There was this one older lady who came in with her daughter and son-in-law, and Rickles just ran up to her and started jumping on her and wagging his tail, and even let her pick him up and cuddle him. He kept trying to follow her around the store. So the daughter said that they are in the middle of moving to a new house, and at the end of the month, if Rickles is still there, they want to adopt him! That would be really great news, because older dogs are the hardest to find homes for. 
I'm happy that it was sunny out today and I spent most of my time with Rickles outdoors. (Rickles seemed to like it too. He peed on every single tree and bush. He was very thorough in his peeing.) 

In other news...tomorrow I may or may not go play kickball in a forest preserve with people I don't know. It is with a Meetup group. The reason why I might go is because I liked playing kickball when I was a kid, and it is not too hard to do, and it might be a good way to make some friends. Of which, right now, I am a little short on. The reason why I might not go is because of my social anxiety. All week I've been thinking, "On Sunday I am going to go play kickball and make some new friends and have fun." But the closer it gets, the more I start thinking, "Maybe I'd better just stay home. I might not have fun. I might suck at it. The other people might not talk to me. It might end up being just like high school gym class." (High school gym class was my own personal Hell!) 
So... will I go, or won't I? I will have to let you know tomorrow! If I do go, it will be something to be happy about for my Happiness Challenge entry. If I don't go, well, I guess I'll have to find a Things That Suck challenge to join as well. 

1 comment :

  1. I go to Meetup once a month to watch classic movies and then discuss them afterward. I really enjoy it. It's such an easy way to meet new people.

    I think it's wonderful that you volunteer with animals. The story about Rickles left me feeling hopeful. As you said, not a lot of people are interested in older pets, even though they still have a lot of love to give.

    ReplyDelete

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!