Adsense

.

.

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Neurodiversity Awareness/Appreciation

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Smoothie Queen

I have never been a great cook.
Well, that is just an assumption, actually. A talent for cooking runs in my family.  I might be an awesome cook. My Nona and my Mom make delicious meals on a regular basis. But I just don't venture into the kitchen much. I am the kind of person that probably shouldn't be allowed to touch the stove without supervision. I am the kind of person who, when I walk into the kitchen, the smoke alarm automatically goes off.
I don't even have to be cooking food, for horrid things to happen in the kitchen! I once wrecked the oven and nearly burned the house down while trying to make rainbow crayons, shaped like letters of the alphabet, as Christmas gifts for the preschool class I worked with at the time. (I was going to give each kid a crayon in the shape of the first letter of their name. Totally a cool idea. Except that melted wax does not keep its form inside a cookie cutter, but overflows and drips out of the pan, and... yeah.)
I once wreaked havoc while trying to make Whipped Snow for the children I lived with to play with! You know the recipe... it involves whipping Ivory Snow soap flakes into soft, lovely clouds of foam for children to   play with or use as puffy paint. Except we didn't have an electric mixer. We did have a blender. How would I know that the top of the blender would blow off and create an Ivory Snow storm?
Oh yeah, and then there is the time we ran out of those little square tablet things you put in the dishwasher. Wouldn't it just make sense that regular liquid dish detergent would work just as well? (Warning: It doesn't.) We went outside to play, and when I came back into the house, the dish washer was drooling suds and the entire kitchen floor was flooded with bubbles! At least the kids had a lot of fun playing in it, and afterwards the kitchen floor was so clean we could have eaten off it.
This is not my dishwasher, but its kinda what the scene looked like. Except imagine way more suds.
But I am not being fair to myself. I have tried cooking before, with some good results. When I used to live with children (long story don't ask) I made them nutritious dinners. Tunafish and rice, with a side of peas and a blueberry muffin, was one successful meal that the kids actually ate without whining.
And if I had my own place, I'd probably be a lot more open to cooking. But right now, while I look for an actual "grownup" job, I'm staying with my parents. My mom is a neat freak with a Straight A personality. She doesn't like messes or mistakes. (I am pretty sure God gave me to her as a daughter specifically to drive her insane.) So I don't cook much. Macaroni and cheese is a pretty safe project. So are hard boiled eggs. Beyond that, I stick to cold cereal and sandwiches.
Recently, though, I discovered smoothies. And I've been addicted to making and drinking them for breakfast every day! We have one of those little hand blenders, so the mess is actually easy to clean up... I just put all the peelings and drippings into a bowl as I make it, stick the end of the blender under the faucet when I finish, and wipe off the counter. And I'm free to experiment to my heart's content!
I usually use coconut milk as a base. I don't know why, except once at Red Robin I saw a smoothie on the menu with coconut milk in it, and somehow in my mind it got stuck that coconut milk belongs in smoothies.
I've made banana smoothies ... great with a dash of cinnamon.
I've made strawberry banana smoothies.
I've made strawberry-blueberry smoothies.
I've made strawberry-blueberry-banana smoothies.
I've made orange smoothies. (That time I used orange juice as a base.)
I discovered that adding a spoonful of silken tofu to the recipe makes it thicker and creamier. And that adding a handful of oatmeal (raw or cooked) to the mixture helps keep you full until lunch time. And that, if you buy Brown Cow Creamy Top yogurt, you shouldn't eat all the cream off the top on the first day, because then the yogurt gets really watery. (You're supposed to stir the cream in. The cream is delicious on its own though, and kinda hard to resist!)
Today I tried a smoothie that used TruMoo (chocolate milk) as a base, with bananas, tofu and oatmeal. I think I might have thrown something else in there too, but I can't remember what. It was yum,yum, yum, delicioso! 
What kind of smoothie should I have tomorrow? Any ideas? (And it better not involve kale!)


No comments :

Post a Comment

All SPAM will be deleted immediately, so don't even bother!
If you have a Blogger profile set to allow email replies, I will reply through email! If not, I often reply in the comments section, so please check back.
Go ahead and tell me what you really think! I won't get mad!